Monday, June 17, 2013

Welcome to my new blog! (My intro and very first entry!)

Hello! I have seen and enjoyed blogs on some of the books i read as a child such as Trixie Belden and the Three Investigators, but have never seen anything on the new Bobbsey Twins series. So, i decided i would start one myself!

So, what was the series about? Well, it seems that many people have heard of the Bobbsey Twins, but not many have read their books. The Bobbsey Twins series started way back in 1904 and the main characters are older twins Bert and Nan (aged 8 when the series started pre-WWI, but quickly changed to age 12), and younger twins Freddie and Flossie (aged 4 when the series started pre-WWI, but quickly changed to age 6). As a youngster, my parents would treat me by taking me to antique book stores and i actually owned several first editions dated back to the pre-WWI era. That series lasted for 72 books and ended in 1979. By the 70s, the series was less "adventure" and more mystery, but still, the writing was ok, but usually after reading those once, i didn't want to reread them. Then in 1980, Wanderer books restarted the title with paperbacks instead of hardcovers, and more of a mystery flavour (indeed, the books' cover actually said they were a "pre-Nancy Drew/Hardy Boys series". This is when the series REALLY began to take off in my opinion. At an early age, i liked reading Isaac Asimov and Agatha Christie, so anything mystery, or sci-fi related piqued my interest. I may get to reviewing the Wanderer books (there were 14 and went from 1980-1986) at some point, but for now, onto the 3rd (and thus far final) series. When Wanderer books ended, Minstrel books took over with the "New" Bobbsey Twins series. The books were a bit smaller, meaning the pace was faster, but the stories (at least the first 17) were well-written with enough mystery, danger and suspense to keep my tween mind interested, yet not too much. This series lasted 30 books and went from 1987 to 1992 where the series has died (at least until the time i write this-2013)

  While i enjoy more adult novels today instead of just kid stuff, a lot of books have things in them objectable to me (cursing, sex, violence, spirtism, etc), so it is always a pleasure for me to dust off these gems of childhood and reread them without those worries.

  I will do these reviews periodically-i hope to do at least one a week, but to be frank, we'll see how faithful i am to this. If i see that interest in them is there, i will feel like doing them more often. Please, leave comments with your thoughts on the series, questions, or what have you, but please keep the comments family-friendly. No cursing, or vulgar or crude language, please.

  And now, onto the reviews!

No comments:

Post a Comment